Monday, August 4, 2014

Tracting Week!

This week, we taught Mary about Baptism; we also watched the Restoration DVD by the next visit. In the first lesson, she said she was already Baptized; we went over more in depth why baptism is important. We went to the next lesson, which was last Sunday, and she told us that this lesson would be her last lesson with us because she is going to be working 10 hours now. 

We taught Shenika, a new investigator on our street about the Restoration. She said she had been reading, and she said the introduction was very interesting. She said that she doesn't really repent of her sins, and we invited her to do so. 

We taught Pearly the Restoration, and she is not interested in our church. She does believe that there is a possibility that Joseph Smith saw God and Jesus Christ appear before him, but she still likes her own church.

We taught Sister Arnold about the Atonement, and she says she is grateful for it.

We went over "Grateful in Any Circumstances" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf with Sally since she has been going through a hard time. She said that it helped her out a lot; it is good to stay positive, even when times are rough.

We taught an investigator Marie about the Restoration. She said she would pray to know the book is true. She is Baptist (a lot of people are in the south.. it is for sure a different experience). 

We taught Joe and Kerri and we found them while tracting on Spencer Avenue. Just before we were about to go to their house, they pulled up in their driveway (one of those awkward missionary moments) and we talked to them. They said they had groceries and we asked if we could help, and we did. We went into their home, and they had a lot of cats. They picked up strays and they had a bunch of things they made for the cats to play on... they had stepping stones, and a bridge for them to cross, and about three scratching posts in their small front room. We were able to share the restoration with them. They mentioned that Joe had grown up Baptist, and him and his wife were not part of any denomination. They said they would pray about the Book of Mormon and about the restoration. A few days later, they called us and said they are not looking for a church right now... so, we were dropped! Oh well. At least we planted a seed. 

We taught Robbin and Larry about the Atonement in Arby's. The lesson went well, and they are still set for a Baptism date of Aug 30th. They are still not drinking coffee and they are still smoking about a half a pack a day instead of a pack and a half of cigarettes. 

We also taught a lesson to Jackie, who does our laundry. We read 2 Nephi 2 together. I made her a spice loaf and I gave her a piece of the carrot cake I made the previous night when she came to be a member in our lesson with Mary, yesterday. She has done so much for the sister missionaries, and I wanted to treat her to a little something to say thank you. :) 

We also taught Margie, and we read "We Never Walk Alone"  by President Thomas S. Monson. It really helped her out. Her orange kitten was playing with my shirt's strings the whole time while it sat in my lap. It didn't bother me, and I found it rather cute. Near the end of the lesson, she gave Sister Mahler a spiel on what has been going on, and she admitted that she was picking on me on purpose because I was new and wanted to make me feel bad and to put me down to see if I would give up, "..and you didn't, and you finally shown through" (<- because I cried at one point in one of the lessons while testifying of a Patriarchal Blessing) "...and you still came. No one has ever done that for me" is what she said. I have no idea what to say to that exactly, but I guess she was doing her own mini test to see my character. I had no idea what was going on, but somehow she trusts me more after her test. Yeah..........

We taught Kim this week and the spirit was very strong. My companion pointed out the spirit in the lesson and I am glad she did that. She still has the desire to be married to her husband for Eternity. Her and her husband are so cute together, especially since they have been married one year (they are in their 30s and 40s). 


Insights I have received this week: 


Since we represent Christ, and we are his disciples as missionaries, we must expect to go through some of the pain he went through. For Christ, it was never easy, and we shouldn't expect it to be easy, too. (Elder Holland mentioned that in one of his talks).

With the gospel, we are able to overcome the negativity of the world; we are able to gain the strength to do what is right, and positive. We are able to keep ourselves pure, and worthy, so that we can live in the presence of God again. With the gospel, we apply the atonement in our lives; when we fall short, Jesus Christ makes up for those shortcomings. It is through His mercy and His grace, and his long suffering, that we are able to face our trials. The gospel is so good, and so pure, and brings pure happiness and joy. Who wouldn't want that? Only those who do not realize or understand how good His word truly is, and "...and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it" (Doctrine and &Covenants 123:12). 

In Gospel Principles last Sunday, Brother Christensen asked how our attitude can affect us. I responded, "If you think about it, attitude can be like the Atonement. If we have a positive attitude, things seem easier and our burdens feel light; if we have a bad attitude, things seem more burdensome and less enjoyable". I said something like that.  

-I learned that if someone has been in a bisexual relationship in the church, they are excommunicated. 

-----
This week, I looked back on my life up to this point, and I realized how a lot of people did not like me because of my faith. It is still the same way today. Now, it's funny when my companion and I exclaim, "We're missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints", and someone says, "Oh, we're Christian." Or, someone asks if we believe in Jesus Christ - o.O. Christians believe in Jesus Christ. So do the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". 

This world is declining in values, but the Lord does not. He stays the same, always, and forever. 

---
I know that my Savior lives, and I know the importance of Charity and reaching out to people. I would be nothing without this church, and I am so blessed to be a member of it. This church is the only true church on the face of the earth, and that Thomas S. Monson is indeed a living prophet today. I know that by having Faith in Jesus Christ, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, Baptism, and enduring to the end, we can make it to Heavenly Father's presence again. 

What would it mean to you if you could be in the Presence of God? Ask yourself. Because there is a way you can. "Ask the missionaries - they can help you!" 


I am doing well, and I miss you all.
Have a great rest of the week!

-Sister Marshall 










No comments:

Post a Comment