Wednesday, April 23, 2014

First Week at the MTC

Departure Date: April 30th
Flight leaves: 7:11 AM MST; Delta Airlines
Box: 44
Pictures will come when I can upload them.

My P. Day is on Wednesdays at the MTC!



This first week has been pretty busy!

I'm a missionary at the age of 22!

On the first day, my luggage broke (the first day using it) and the handle broke right off. By the time I was pulling my medium suitcase from my cousin's car, the pulling handle broke right off. I had to pull it by the fabric handle, and it was tiring for me, and for those helping me in the MTC! I believe a younger missionary (most likely 18) made fun of me for it, and called me "Sister Broken Luggage" (on day 2). I had no idea who he was talking to - and I felt that name to be disrespectful.

I am in a trio companionship, with Sister Griffin (from Utah, 19) and Sister Roberts (from New Zealand, 20). Sister Griffin is very silly, and Sister Roberts is super funny. I love them both! Working in a trio is hard, especially when trying to teach a lesson. Sometimes we do not know how to organize our lesson because all three of us are on different pages.


Day 2 (Thursday, last week) was one of the hardest for me.
    +Meals super close together (Breakfast - 8:00; lunch - 12:50; dinner - 5:45); I felt on this day, they were almost 2 hours apart.
    + I was getting used to 11 hours of class time, and no more than 5 min breaks, so  I do not have any time to review any of the material
    +We need to be in bed by 10:30, and wake up at 6:30. Anything less than that, and we do not get 8 hours of sleep.

During lunches, they have a place where people with dietary needs can go. I'm glad, and I sincerely appreciate it!


Sunday -
President Uchtdorf Spoke at the Devotional. The moment he walked in, we all stood up (every missionary in the MTC, over 600) and the spirit hit me so hard as it filled the room; I was so excited to see him. We sang many hymns at first, before he spoke. He spoke about the Savior's Death, since it was Easter Sunday. He mentioned about how Mary recognized Him after He said her name. He mentioned many other things, and I have it all written down. All I can think about right now, was about how strong the spirit was. I wanted to see President Uchtdorf in person at some point in my life, and I was completely overwhelmed at first (and all of us were told it was going to be a surprise! 


One thing I dislike: The ants. So. Many. Ants. Especially when I accidentally leave out food on the floor, in my luggage. I also left the box of Cliff Mint Protein bars (all wrapped, except one in its wrapper, with the wrapper folded over) on my bed. There was about 15-20 ants scattering on my bed, and within the box, and many were walking all over my half-eaten protein bar. I felt sick to my stomach as I thought about eating it. No way.

Oh - also... I got cut badly by my razor as the shampoo bottle slipped out of my hand in the shower while I was holding the razor at the same time. It was just on the knuckle of my left index finger. I was bleeding for about an hour before it finally stopped. Some of the blood got into the other's shower. I hope the girl next door did not think there was a murder scene going on, since the red just kept on coming. Sister Griffin helped me with some Neosporin.

By the fourth day, my flats rubbed the back of my heals until I bled from all that walking. Sister Roberts gave me some footie socks for me to wear. They keep falling off my heal, though! It's better than nothing!

Also - my district went to the Temple and we took a bunch of pictures! I need to update them soon; the Laundry mat's computers (where I'm typing my email) don't have a place for me to put my SD card.

I believe yesterday (Tuesday) was almost a breaking point for me. I felt so frustrated with the fast pace, and the disorganization when preparing a lesson. Yesterday was day 2 of teaching an investigator (paid) on Skype. It is difficult since my companions and I were looking at a screen instead of in-person. We prepared the lesson, but the moment it's time to teach, different things than which were originally planned, were said. One of my companions told me "Don't think... just teach with the spirit." I prefer to teach with the spirit, while I use my intellect, thank you! I remember sitting in front of the screen, thinking to myself, "This is way too stressful, I can't do this. I don't want to be a missionary anymore. I want to go home." Then about halfway through the lesson, the investigator, named Lauanna, mentioned she had cancer, I remembered the 'vision' which my companions and I prepared for this lesson. Our vision was for her to have hope. Things I wanted to say, finally came to me, and it was a neat experience. I think 3/4 of the ladies were crying. First, the investigator, then sister Griffin, then me. When it got to me, the investigator said, "Oh, now she's crying too!" The lesson was more powerful than how I thought it was going to be. Although it was way better than the first lesson, the second had more organization involved (although I felt it was completely spacey just for the fact this was our second time teaching!). 

I have great elders in my district:
    +Elder Fatta
    +Elder Nutter
    +Elder Tortorici
    +Elder Fullerton
    [+ Elder Sparks] <- in a different class
    [+ Elder... ?? ] <- in a different class
    [Sister Bingham]
    [Sister Rushton]

My main District contained 4 elders, and 3 sisters

Elder Nutter loves my note taking. I took 15 pages of notes on the first day. He says he loves me for it. I am an inspiration, he said. It's pretty funny.

President McMullin was impressed with my note taking. He said everyone should become a note taker like Sister Marshall. I felt humbled.


Yesterday, we had another devotional, and this time we had Elder Dallin H. Oaks. I was so glad I was able to listen to him speak! His wife mentioned how she left her dying mother's bedside to talk to us; Just before they spoke, I could tell something was troubling them - this clarified my feelings. I hope they are both doing alright.

Elder Oaks' talk went over the basics of our missionary work, things which I already knew before. But one thing stuck out to me: The fashionable trend going on today about religion is that all religions believe that they are true. He tied that into the restoration of the gospel, brought forth by Joseph Smith - and this is what makes our faith stand out among the rest. The fullness of the gospel: Faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, Baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. It was a great talk; afterwards, as a district, we discussed what stood out to us: of course I mentioned the world's view on religion.



Throughout the halls, I hear that Hunger Games Whistle. It's funny, I guess.

There is this new thing that started at my district's lunch table.
Elder Tortorici, goes in a high pitch, "Ye-ye!!" I guess it's something he does when he country danced in Texas (where he's from).
Elder Fullerton goes "Coouuahh!" which sounds like a dying bird or something, but the Ye-ye follows the coouuaah. It's so funny. Sister Roberts can hit that spot on. I just sit back, listen, and laugh.

Oh! Also! On Monday, I did 80 pushups. We had to do as many pushups as we could within our district, and stop when we couldn't go anymore. I had the highest amount, and they were all impressed. Some of the elders didn't know I could do so many. The next day, in the gym, with my companions, I lifted 100 lbs with one of the machines (I don't know which one - the one where I'm pushing down the weights with these levers in front of me). My arms hurt, soon after, but it's OK.

Today (Wed) I am receiving help with my luggage. I am getting a new suitcase (I brought 1 large, 1 medium, and 1 small. I'll soon have 2 large, and 1 small. They don't have a medium).

I am currently having 4 pieces of clothing extended (3 skirts - I cannot have my knee showing at all when I am sitting down) and it is $.50 per item. They will be ready by the 28th.

Overall, though, within the first week of the MTC, I have improved some of my teaching skills, and I developed a love for all those in my district, and those I am around. It is awesome seeing my name on a tag. I did not know how much work this was going to be. A lot of this involves me switching to the right brain, instead of the left, which I am used to. I barely speak, but it seems when I do, the teachers are impressed, as well as my companions. I seem to hit the main points which the teachers are teaching us, and I get a "That's exactly right!" "That is spot on!". Those responses are so new to me. I'm used to hearing, "You're close, but that's not what I'm looking for" as they have one specific answer we are supposed to guess. It's amazing to figure out how much I already know about how the gospel.


I miss everyone. I don't care if they're keeping me busy. I still miss everyone, especially all of Joseph's family (and I miss Joseph, especially!).

I would type more, but I guess that is what my journal and notebooks are for.

Anyways,

I love you all, and please email me if you can. my email is
alissa.marshall@myldsmail.net


Love,

Sister Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment