Monday, June 16, 2014

A Good Week to be Alive

So much has happened this week! 

We found 3 more investigators this week! Talk about a miracle! 

One of them really wanted to know more about the gospel since she was a housekeeper of an LDS family. We are excited to meet with her again this week!

. . . 

It might have either been Tuesday or Wednesday of last week where Sister Bowen and I almost got in a car wreck. We had a green, and the lane opposite from us had their turning lane turn to a red light about 5 seconds before we were about to go. One car still turned after their light turned red (turning left), and then the second car (I had a feeling they were going to turn) behind that car wanted to take the chance and turn, too. The problem was that Sister Bowen and I were already driving since our light was green, and that car almost crashed into us! The only way we did not get hit was when Sister Bowen moved out of the way. I screamed; no one honked horns, and the whole incident had us shaken for a bit. I was more shaken, for at least another day or so. The other car made no acknowledgement that they were turning into another car. I honestly felt that the Lord was protecting us, since we are on His errand. I have never been in a car accident, nor do I want to be.

. . .

On Thursday, Sister Bowen and I went to Thai Thai Seafood restaurant in New Bern with some members. That was the first time they have ever had eaten at a thai place. the Funniest thing was, Sister Bowen ordered her meal 3 stars, and I thought to myself, 'she has no idea what she's in for!' because a 3 is super spicy! We both had Phad Thai (my favorite dish, by the way!) and she drank about 4 glasses of Water and we all kept laughing as she wanted more refills. I'm glad she liked the food, though! 

More miracles happened this week! 

Kitty Neil was able to get the sacrament this week in the nursing home!

- Leah made it to church with her mom (her husband is the anti-LDS), and Sister Bowen and I were super excited! In order to be baptized, it is a requirement to attend church. Although during the lesson last week, it may have seemed bothersome to her parents, but I was so glad they came, all the same. I believe this may have been her first time at church, at the age of 9. I hope they keep coming to church! there are so many great and positive things said at church - and the spirit is strong. 

-Sister Bowen and I were able to call the Elders to give an inactive member a Priesthood blessing - she has been going through so much anxiety and has been having so much stress. One thing she told us, was, "I've been so distant from the church that a Priesthood Blessing never occurred to me.. after the blessing, I was like, 'duh!' " She was beaming after it all, though. I am so grateful for the Priesthood power and I am so glad that it has been restored on the earth today. 

. . . 

I think this week I felt more humble than any other week. As I've been serving here, I have come to see how a lot of people here value the simple things in life, such as quality time with the family, their religion, their home, and that they have food to eat. In this area, there are a lot of people who have less than what I grew up with. They remind me to be grateful for the little things, and to focus on things that really matter. I have never had family live super close to me (some are as far as their backyard, living in a trailer home!), or live about 20 minutes away. They've already been in order states, or about 40 minutes away. I am so humbled when I see deep love within families; non-judgmental, and always there to help those who need help, and put others first before themselves, without complaining. They remind me on how I want my future family to be - strong ties, love, trust, and to always be there for one another, ready to serve. That reminds me - the New Bern ward is almost literally family - someone is related to someone else and it is so hard to remember who is related to who!

. . . 

I have stumbled across a member who does not believe in Dinosaurs. I remained puzzled as I pointed out the proof of Dinosaur bones (they just found fossilized dinosaur eggs with baby dinosaurs inside! last year, I believe! ) and I mentioned evolution. There is proof all around us of Evolution! Evolution is pretty much the works behind all the things God has created; it's almost like saying, "And the man built a car". The car did not poof out of nowhere. There was a process to make the car. The process, in this analogy, is the 'science.' At least, that is what I was taught at Brigham Young University, anyways, put on by the church! 



I cannot remember all that I wanted to write about. 

I am so grateful for my companion Sister Bowen. She works so hard in all she does, and is quite the example for me in missionary work. As I am still in training (by the way - I've been out for 2 months!), I have learned so much on what it takes to be a missionary. I could not trade any other experience for these missionary experiences! 

I know I need to get better at my teaching skills, and I know that will improve over time. *sigh*. 

I know this church is true and I have seen the change within people as they live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have watched someone grow in faith, in their first visit by missionaries. I love watching that and I love explaining these principles to them! 

If it weren't for the church, for the Holy Ghost, and for the gospel, I would not be the person who I am today. I know I am not the same person I was four years ago, and I truly believe that this gospel can bring great happiness.

I want to invite anyone curious about the church to Visit any of the churches, entitled, 'The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints'. There is truly a difference - a peace; a reverence; calm; joy; truth is taught here. 

. . . 

Anyways, I miss you all! Please write to me! If I'm not writing to you, I may not have your email address! 

-Sister Marshall
.. . 


Sister Hurley and I; She is such a funny and lovely lady!



Sister Harrison and I; She was in my district in the MTC!




I finally have my 'Gospel of Jesus Christ' tools made and laminated. Now onto the Plan of Salvation! It took about a week, I believe, because of the time!


I will never have a regular lollipop ever again...


I drew this for Joseph! See if you can spot his name! 

Until Next week! 
See y'all later! 


No comments:

Post a Comment