Monday, July 21, 2014

Crazy Week

So much happened this week.

Investigators: We found 2 investigators this week: Virgin, and Carol

Colleen:
We hand-delivered the Book of Mormon to her door;
Colleen is a writer; she is writing a Christian Book for the Marine Life-style and I helped proof-read and give corrections when needed. 

She told me about how those in Japan believe that a blonde-haired, blue eyed child/person is goodluck when they touch them. A woman once tried to steal her baby in Japan when she wanted to take her baby home to show her family so they could touch them. That definitely made her upset, I can imagine. 

She wants to include the Book of Mormon references in her book, along with the Bible, even though she is not of the faith. She understands how the Book of Mormon mentions things similar to the Bible, and that is why she wants to include it.

Virgin was sitting on a bench,  when Sister Bowen walked up to her on the street. We told her a little more about the religion, and gave her a Book of Mormon. 

Carol was referred to us by the Greenville sisters; she recently moved to New Bern. She has 2 children; the lesson went well; We invited her to be baptized, and she said she would. The spirit was strong. 

We also taught a lesson to Teresa, which was the first lesson in over a month. The spirit was very strong and she is still wanting to be baptized. She sent us a sweet recorded message that evening, and it completed the day. 

Robin And Larry: We taught them again at McDonalds, and we invited them to be baptized, on Aug 30th. The spirit was very strong. Robin said, "I haven't felt this way about a religion before;"

Larry called us up during the week and asked what was the difference between Noah and the Ark (Bible) and Nephi (Book of Mormon) and the ship he built; I mentioned to him how both of these moments happened in different time periods [ Noah and the Ark happened around 3,000 BC, and Nephi, after 600 BC] and they had different situations. It took a while for me to find the 3,000 BC answer - I had to go to an Old Testiment Book over at a member's home to find this one out!

Mail:
I received a package from sister VanDam back in Redmond! It was such a nice surprise. Thanks to all who contributed! I especially liked the dried Mango; that is actually one of my favorite things from Trader Joes! 

Transfer Calls: After Saturday, it has just been sad. Sister Bowen is transferring back to the same area which she served in Greenville; it's the same ward! She is leaving in the morning, on July 24th. She will not be with the same companion, though. So much tears, and a lot of pictures with the people she's touched. "The mission isn't about baptisms, it's about the people you meet," she told Sister Price. I agree; numbers are numbers, but it's about doing something for someone and touching the lives of others. 

Church:
3 investigators came to church, and that was exciting! 

We have meals everyday until Sister Bowen leaves! 

This means I will get a new companion, and I will be the senior companion of the area. I'm feeling a little nervous, especially when, after a new report, there are 600 people who are members in New Bern, and a little over 200 are attending church. There are only two sets of missionaries in this area: one pair of sisters, and another pair, elders.
I have no idea how much time I have here, but I'll do my best. 

Sister Neil told me, just before sister Bowen and I left her room in the Nursing Home, "Make sure you come and see me... don't let me down!" We were the ones who found her and have been visiting her after many, many years being in the nursing home. 

We visited Rachel; the elders gave her a Priesthood blessing because she has been feeling sick for the past couple days. Afterwards, Rachel asked the dreaded question, "So which one of you, is leaving?" The elders and I looked right at sister Bowen. Sister Bowen announced it was her, and (this was so hard to watch), slowly, Rachel's face filled with emotion. So much tears. I knew this was going to happen when the elders were here. Rachel loves Sister Bowen, and  this is very difficult for both of them. At some point, we all sang some hymns. First we started singing "God Be With You Till We Meet Again," and I can't believe I chose that. We had to switch over to another hymn to make up for the last one, and that one was "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today." And then, I was put on the spot and I had to sing SOLO a verse of "Sweet hour of Prayer." That is the second time I've ever had to sing solo, on the mission. 

Funny:
Elders pulled a prank on us. I've attached the recording to this email (it may not show up on the blog) on what happened... My gosh. They Got Sister Bowen good!


Food Stories:

-Made some home-made peanut butter.
-Ate chocolate cake for Joseph's birthday
-Made Tacos
-Smoothies
- made gluten-free/dairy-free muffins
-made granola for Sister Bowen to surprise her

Diet still vegan; gluten-free, and dairy-free. Otherwise I feel sick. 

Things I have learned on my mission so far: 

-I am able to understand the war chapters in the Book of Mormon, and they are very interesting on what the war was about. A lot of killings happened because of religious freedom? Yikes. 

-I have learned even more about putting trust in God. Last P-day I was super worried about something, then the still, small voice told me, "God has a plan for you." And then, instantly, the negative feelings went away, and I was able to focus on the reason why I am here, serving. I have to continue to line my will, with God's will; things will always work out, even if it is not the way I planned it. 
-I am using the dictionary when I study. I am finding words I overlooked; 
- I am developing more love for the people I serve; I am also understanding how a small, kind act goes a long way, and can actually change someone's whole life around.
- I love watching faith in grow in others and the light grow within their eyes. It is such an experience to watch people grow spiritually
- I am finding opportunities to serve
- I realized that the Atonement does not cover only sins as stated in the 10 commandments, or the commandments restored through Joseph Smith, but every single thing that needs to be corrected. A second chance is part of the Atonement; it covers all of the negative thoughts and feelings we have; Anything lost can be restored; Because of Christ's Atonement, when babies die, they die in innocence; they are pure; and they will instantly be in Heaven. They will not be in Limbo; God is too merciful for that. 
-I have found two cousins here in New Bern. If anyone is related to Joseph Smith, especially from Hyrum, we are cousins. I found Brother Christensen, and Brother Froggly; both of them are related to Hyrum, just like I am. This is so crazy. 

-It's been 7 months away from Joseph (my Fiance) and the months are not getting any easier. Someone told me it would, but, as for me, it's not. 
- People will always be against Latter-day Saints, because they do not know what it all entails. Since Elementary, people would make fun of me or think I was going to hell because I am Mormon. The world is bitter, but Christ's love is so sweet; If anyone is against me, or my religion, I just don't care. Jesus Christ is my redeemer; and I am a Christian. 
-My Testimony has grown so much of the fruits of the Gospel; before my mission was afraid to share the gospel; now, I'll share it. I invite you to come unto Christ, to be baptized, and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. If you don't want that, well, you will later. 
-One little seed of Faith goes a long way. The Lord has revealed that to me and boy did I learn a lesson. 
-I read Elissia's letter which she gave me before I left college; That made my day also. 


I know the Lord's teachings are true, and I know that God lives; He is a God that  does not change, and is the same yesterday, today, and forever. I know the Book of Mormon is another Testament of Jesus Christ, and that Joseph Smith did restore this church; he truly was a prophet of God, called of God. If I had to die for my religion, I would. I can never deny this great work.  I wouldn't trade my mission for anything; people are too precious. I am so glad I have decided to serve. God does not care about the amount of money you have. He cares about what is in your heart, might, and strength. 

New Bern is a poor town. So many poor people are so close to God, that it makes where I grew up in, look bad. When they have nothing, they greatly rely on the Lord for everything. 

---
Interesting: 
white bread with chicken and gravy...?


Anyways - I love my mission. By Thursday, it will get a whole lot harder! I've been on the mission 3 months now. 

Miss you all. 

-Sister Marshall 








  

 

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing and sweet testimony! I love reading and keeping up with you! Love and miss you and I will write to you soon! Keep up the great work! Love, Kelli <3

    ReplyDelete