Monday, July 7, 2014

Dry Spell, Survived Hurricane, Fourth of July - Good Week

-Dry Spell
This week, was another dry week when it came to teaching lessons. Summer has it up and a lot of people are out of town. 

We had an investigator drop us by telling a member, who told us they didn't want to do the lessons anymore. He told her that he wasn't really interested the whole time, and I do not know what to think about that. I thought for sure he was! Oh well. 

We have continued to teach Mary this week, and by our last lesson, she definitely seems interested in what we have to say. She is Catholic, and she has never heard of Joseph Smith. Her faith grew as we taught her the Restoration, and I recited the first vision from memory. The spirit was so strong in the lesson and my companion and I felt good about the whole lesson. On this day, it was the first lesson we had all day and it was so nice to teach her these things. 

This week we taught Robin and Larry in McDonalds again. It was a good lesson, but it could have been better if the lesson was in a more spiritual-appropriate environment. 

We have a Head Quarter Referral and we still cannot contact him. He doesn't speak that good of English, and he told us, after contacting him again this week, that it still wasn't a good time. This referral is tricky because it had the wrong address, and then the address this man gave us was still not correct. Somehow we'll find him! 

One of the last lessons we had with another investigator was kind of brutal. During the lesson, the investigator went off for about 30 minutes comparing, and singling me out as she compared me to the last missionary which was here, about 12 weeks ago. Some of the things she told me was, since I'm not all smiley and bubbly [like the last missionary who was 18 months in, and this missionary made sure she was well-known], I am not a positive influence, and how she needs to crack me open to get me to talk more. She went on and on about this other missionary and how I didn't seem like I wanted to be there. We have been teaching her for almost 12 weeks and every time, she compares me in some way to this other missionary. I know people pick favorites and I know people can get attached to missionaries, but my purpose as a missionary is to teach the gospel and bring people closer to Jesus Christ. My talents are hidden, and I do not boast them. I take the "seeketh not her own" as mentioned in the scriptures quite literally. In church she told me that Sister Bowen is so talented, and that I need to play the organ too. I am not an entertainer for her, I am a daughter of God who is here to help her achieve Eternal Life. 

I am me, and if you don't like it, well, too bad. I am enough for some people, and I'm fine with that. 

I have never been compared to someone else continually, and told who I need to be. I try not to let it get to me, but for most of the week, I just feel like I've been picked on. She'll be gone this week. She has a baptismal date too, which is July 26th. 



-Hurricane
All week we were told of a huge hurricane coming our way. The members sure scared us with what goes on during one. Many told us that a lot of people were going to go for bread and milk. At first they said it was going to hit Saturday, and then on the 4th of July.  

A lot of the missionaries in our zone had to evacuate their area, and two sets of missionaries came to our apartment to spend the night. It was a lot of fun! I made dinner just in case they didn't eat before they left, but everyone already ate so I've just been eating spaghetti for some of my meals this week. 

All six of us were able to get ready for the day using the one bathroom with the broken toilet (filling the water manually because it does not fill much at all by itself!), and we were a little late to studies the next day, but, we studied.   

-Fourth of July

Our Zone wore red white and blue to the Zone conference and it was so great. The Zone leaders told us it was going to be the best in history. Funny thing is, is that this was going to be the first one in history because this mission opened in July 2013. So, since it was the first, it is the best one. 

We sang some of O'Canada at the meeting, just to be silly, and we also got to see some of the progress in the District and Zone leaders. At the end, we were able to receive some watermelon. 


I made one of my favorite desserts, and altered it a bit to fit Sister Bowen's and my dietary needs. I made two large sugar cookies from scratch. One regular without the butter and used apple sauce instead, and another gluten-free/dairy-free/white-sugar-free cookie. We used tru-whip (all-natural whip-cream) instead of vanilla frosting, and we topped it off with cut strawberries and kiwi, and some blue berries. In two days, they were all gone from just the two of us (minus one piece for the neighbor right below us).

We went to Roses, and then to target. We met a potential at Target, and she was referred to us by the Bishop. It was so good to bump into her!

The missionaries saw fireworks downtown. At first we were told to go by the water, but then we saw the fireworks come up, and they were right behind us so all of us had to run over to where they were actually showing them. It looked like the world was about to end with all of the people running. I thought it looked like a scene from Dead Rising 2, but, that was just me. 

We got to stay out until 10:00 pm; we were in bed by 11:30 pm. 

On Sunday, we only saw one investigator come to church.  

One of our other investigators is moving, and I am so glad that we were able to teach her.


This is all I can say for now! I'm ready for another week!

-Sister Marshall 



No comments:

Post a Comment