Monday, February 2, 2015

Into the Month of February

I didn't make time to write an update last week, but I will try my best this week to write one. 

On Tuesday, we did more work for Restore; my companion and I organized fake fireplaces and we put them in a place where they would be best displayed. Our hands were covered with charcoal afterwards. We also got our picture taken and by the end of our shift, we were played on a flyer along with other members of the Restore crew from their service. 

We had exchanges on Wednesday, and we did a fair amount of tracting (going door to door). The area we were in had a lot of Baptists. We encountered a man who was baptist, and he believed in the saying "when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren" and so he also implemented the gospel to us, but in his way. He admired what we were doing, and he told us he was not interested, but in a very polite way. 

We also went to see someone who we set up an appointment with, and her grandson came out and told us that she was in bed rest. We asked him what his beliefs were about God, and he said that he did not have any. He also told us that he was in the military. He said it was about killing, and God was not. Sister Dalton explained how our church says that we need to fight for our religion, even if it implies death. I liked how she tied that in. She thanked him for his service for our country. 

We had a good lesson with Beth at the church. We had a church tour with the Relief Society President. She saw the baptism font and she beamed when she saw it. She still needs to know if Joseph Smith is a prophet and restore the true church, and if Thomas S. Monson is the current prophet today. I know this can be difficult to accept since it adds to her current faith. 

On Saturday we had a Baptism held for Briana, who the Elders were teaching.  Her countenance changed after she baptized. I truly saw a difference. I was so happy for Briana and for the road she is now going to be on. She will be confirmed and will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost  February 8th, since this past Sunday was Stake Conference. 

. . .

I finally was able to obtain a copy of 'The Fourth Missionary' after being out 9 months. I love how Lawrence E. Corbridge talked about the different types of missionaries and how each type of missionary develops; it also talked about how each missionary is changed. A lot of the change that happens in missionaries comes from deep within, and cannot be measured by the human eye (such as by other missionaries, companions, or people). That has truly brought me peace because there were times where I have been trying to do my best but others did not see it, especially those who were out longer than I was at the time they told me. I have learned that spiritual development increases, as we concentrate ourselves and as we serve our best. Before I was a missionary (and as I am the first missionary on both sides of my family) I thought that once someone serves a mission, they come back instantly changed, and they become this great, super Christ-like being. I also thought that returned missionaries couldn't fall away from the gospel. After being on a mission, and after reading more of 'The Fourth Missionary,' I've discovered that there are missionaries who may not even be 'changed' on their missions because they did not have their heart in the work. Those missionaries who did not have their heart fully in the work can easily fall away, especially as they go back to their old habits, or as they slip and fall into making bad choices. The missionaries that are changed by their missions, give everything up to the Lord, let Him be apart of His missionary work (The Lord can do His own work  [2 Nephi 27:21], but we have the privilege of helping Him as missionaries), and most importantly, have Charity. If we withhold our heart, it will not prophet us anything. 

"For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing. " - Moroni 7:6. 

I believe this to be true. The work can be done, and many people will be blessed by our efforts, but without real intent, and if the work is done grudgingly, it does not do us any good. 

. . .

Also, we got our mail lock fixed. The Jamestown sisters went back into the post office and they went to the lady who they had talked to earlier. She sent the man over who changed the wrong lock to change ours instead. 

. . . 

We had stake conference Saturday, and Sunday. There were a lot of good things that were said. Our Mission President Spoke and he said that living the  gospel can sometimes be awkward. He said it was awkward to be in his calling as a Mission President. I am grateful that he is open, and honest. I cannot even imagine all of the things he has to do over this mission, and take care of 100+ missionaries in North Carolina and Virginia. Yet, he has the power and keys to be over the Chesapeake Mission. He is truly a gifted, and wise man. The longer I serve my mission, the more I appreciate, respect, and admire his service. 

. . . 

There are many days where the mission is hard, and I cannot come to others about personal matters; many do not understand where I am coming from, or do not know how to comfort me during the times of trial. These times are when I feel alone and I have to rely on only on the Lord for comfort. I guess these times teach me how to be self-reliant on the Lord. This will be useful in the next phases of my life after the mission. 

. . .

New Treats: 
Coconut Cashews at Trader Joe's. They are my new favorite. 

. . . 

Anyways, this is all I can say for now!

Y'all are incredibly missed! 

-Sister Marshall  








NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment