Monday, February 23, 2015

Feb 16 - 23 2015

Hi, Everyone! This week was packed with a lot of things, especially the snow.

Monday - 
All four of the sisters went to Jamestown Settlement. We went to the exhibits and learned more about the natives that were in this area way back in the 1600s. We went inside the huts and there was an actor in the hut in Indian clothing. He told us about the culture of the natives here; what they ate, what they did, and how they made their huts. The huts were located close to their original spots, as they had found [bamboo] pole markings deep in the ground (the natives burried the bamboo deep in the ground so that they could grab the moisture they needed to bend the sticks, and so they could not crack as they worked with them). 

We walked on an old ship and one of the actors there told us about what the people did as they were on there for months at a time. I had no idea that back then, they had their own small cup to 'use the bathroom' next to their sleeping quarters. 

We took a bunch of pictures!

Tuesday - It snowed so much overnight and the missionaries in the area weren't allowed to drive at all for the whole day. We found some service opportunities and we shoveled some driveways. 

Wednesday - 
Signs of a cold came about since Monday and I haven't been feeling my best (Feb 16 -23rd).  There was a time were I was instructed by the mission nurse to stay home for the rest of the day because of how I had been feeling. 

Thursday - Weekly planning day. We are using the new guidelines for how to plan; it is very effective and we have checkboxes for our tasks that we need to complete. 

Day of Transfers. Sister Parry is now in Portsmouth. It was a very sad day for all of us. She has such a wonderful spirit about her; she is very caring, loving, and committed to the work. It doesn't feel the same since she left, but hopefully I'll be ok as the  time goes on. 

We now have Sister Fife and she is now companions with Sister Thornton, who is still in training. 

Sister Fife is wonderful, and adds a new spunk to the apartment. I look forward to having her this transfer, and I know she has so much to offer in the mission. 

. . . 

Investigators: 

-Beth - She is still steadily progressing in learning more about the gospel. She is doing great!    
-Riley -Him and his family came to church this Sunday! It was great, and he was very happy. 

-Cecil - He came to church; we could tell that the spirit had touched him. He is accountable and so we will continue to teach him. 

-Sharon - we dropped her because her son told us she was about to go to the hospital. We also saw her go into the ambulance by the time we were walking out of the building.

Things Learned: 
-I learned how to make my own corn tortillas with just corn flour, salt, and water. They taste better than store-bought tortillas, and it does save a great amount of money. I made several burritos with them and I enjoyed every single bite. 

- I have noticed that I have been trunkier the longer I have been out on the mission. I sat in sacrament meeting and I thought about the Savior. I drew a T chart with 'My Sacrifices' on one side, and 'The Lord's Sacrifices' on the other. 

My Sacrifices: 
-Friends
-Family
-guitar
-clarinet
-piano
-computer
> digital computer entries
-time
-energy

The Lord's Sacrifices: 
-heart
-soul
-talents
*-will
-mind
-energy
-His life, so that we may live


I was tempted to put down the word 'everything' and only have that word in the box. I pondered on how much my sacrifices, were not really sacrifices at all, and how the Lord submitted his entire life, and will, to fulfill the work of His father. I have no idea how the Savior did it, but He did. His vision was to fulfill all righteousness, and to be that perfect example. 

I think many times throughout the week, "what more can I do?" and I think of ways on how I can contribute to the work and how to consecrate myself.

. . .

Oh! Good news! In March, the whole mission has the opportunity to go to the Rolley Temple in North Carolina. We all were filled with joy and excitement as our President told us this during our conference call last Saturday. This may be the only opportunity I get to go to the Temple here on the mission. 

. . .

To wrap things up,

I want to bare my testimony that I know this church is true. I know that Jesus Christ lives, and that the Book of Mormon testifies of God, Jesus Christ, and the gospel principles. I know that we can truly come closer to God as we pray, and we can also come closer to Him when we read the Book of Mormon. It is such a great book and I know this book is true. The spirit has testified to me of the truthfulness and I hope that each of you will be able to feel the way that I feel when I read the Book of Mormon.

. . .

I miss you all, and I hope y'all have a great day!

-Sister Marshall 



  



 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment