Monday, September 15, 2014

Biking, Biking, and More Biking

Our progress record was full on both sides, plus half way through on another progress record. We saw over 20 people last week, and it is so hard to remember each one since a lot of the visits were short. We also taught a lot of men. It's surprising how many men there are walking about. 

Biking - All week. The first day biking, I had to bike with Sister Putnam in the warm rain later in the evening. 

We stopped by a former (who was dropped), and her name is Joy. We saw joy after biking in the wet rain. We asked if we could do any service for her, and she said we could vacuum. Since she had a busy week, with this little act of service, she had tears fill her eyes and at the time I did not understand how something so small could mean so much. My companion said she watched me the entire time. Afterwards we shared a message with her about the Atonement and how our burdens are a lot lighter because Christ died for us. We can access more power of the atonement when we pray, and sincerely ask for forgiveness. As strange as this experience was, I don't think I'll ever forget it. 

We did some service at the thrift store on Tuesday, and we biked all the way there and it took over 10 minutes. Along the way this elderly man said "Hey, cutie!" To the both of us and my companion freaked out after we passed him. She mentioned how men say something a lot here.  We just assorted clothes and since we did service there, we get a discount. Too bad we can only buy things on our Preparation days!

We had exchanges last Friday and so I went to Havlock for less than 24 hours. During the exchange, we visited a lot of less actives, and we also had some miracles. 
We brought Willow, a 16-year-old with us to be a member present in our lessons that evening. I was so amazed at her testimony and how she was able to explain how she felt about the gospel and how she explained what we read in the Book of Mormon with the investigators.

We tried to see another woman in the area and someone else answered the door. My companion and I mentioned what we do as missionaries, and she asked how old I was. I said 22, and her eyes were wide, and she exclaimed, "Really, I thought you were 16. You look so young!" This is the first time someone thought I was that young on my mission. Usually people thought I was 19. 
We visited a woman who was due that day with her child, but was not about to go into labor anytime soon, in her home. She had a 3 year old and a 1 year old. The 3 year old was trying to pester his mother the whole time, and while doing so he grabbed his little sister's diaper off and his mother realized that she needed to be changed. This was all happening while we were trying to teach her gospel principles, and we had to continue as if nothing was happening. That was for sure an experience for me. The 3 year old was so rowdy, and then his mother turned on the TV; he was instantly quiet as he sat in timeout. His little sister tried to get his attention with the cup she wore on her fist, and he was completely zoned out on the TV. After the quiet, we were able to explain more about 1 Nephi 2. I loved Nephi's diligence to God and how he was willing to do anything that He commanded him to do. Willow mentioned that obedience played a great role in that. 

We also met a woman named Lori who watched a child for a lady that we were planning to go see. She recently had her baby and it was a darker skinned; she was a very pale woman. She was also Catholic. We asked at the door if we could share our message with her and she said sure; we were able to go in, first try. We taught her the restoration and with everything we mentioned, we could feel the spirit.  We have a return appointment. Sister Hymus (the missionary I was with for this exchange, said after we left, "what just happened?" and I beamed. I love moments like this on the mission). 

After exchanges, and I was back with Sister Putnam, we encountered a 17-year-old boy, named Tristin, who was walking on the street. We stopped our bikes and introduced ourselves. We asked him what his relationship with God was, and he said it was pretty good. He said that his days were getting worse as time went on, and he was trying to find peace. He also mentioned that he was escaping what was going on in his household. We mentioned that the message we had to share about the gospel can really bless his life, and we bore testimony of the restoration of the gospel, one point after another. He asked us, "How old are you?" to Sister Putnam, and she and I said "21," and "22." When I said I was 22, he did something similar what this older woman did to me: his eyes were wide, and his expression was in a way like he didn't believe me. Another interesting thing that happened was that every time I bore truth to something, he gave me a "really?" look, like he did not believe me. He asked us, [" You say you are 21 and 22 - how can you find peace when you are so young?"] "Have you really found peace?" We both said we had. I mentioned that I found it by praying and coming closer to Jesus Christ, and applying the principles of the gospel in my life. Eventually, he said  ["I can find peace on my own, thanks."] We gave him a plan of Salvation pamphlet.  After this experience, I can gladly admit that I have found peace. It doesn't matter the age. There is no age barrier when it comes to Christ-like service, and if you think about it, anyone who finally finds peace in their golden years has had many years without that peace. They could have enjoyed that if they found it earlier. There is also a scripture that mentions 'learn thy wisdom in thy youth', and I know this to be true. 

On the street we also bumped into a 14-year-old girl named Brianna while we were on our bikes. She was walking to her friends house when we stopped her. We introduced the Book of Mormon to her and she said she felt good about our message. She said for us to talk to her dad to see if she could take the discussions. Her dad's neighbor broke a fence with a lawn mower and got the truck stuck somehow. It did rain hard the previous night, and I guess that area where the fence was, was swampy. It was a mess. The neighbors were laughing their heads off. My companion laughed. And I had no comment. After we saw that, Brianna's dad came to the door and he said that he told the Elders that he wasn't interested. He also mentioned that Brianna was probably just trying to be nice, like him. He also said, ["She's 14, she doesn't know any better"] and the first thing I could think of was that Brianna felt the spirit within our message, so regardless of what he says, she may have more interest in the near future. 

Also - at church, we had no investigators come to church; my companion mentioned that no investigators have came these past 7 weeks she's been here, which is disappointing! 
Right after this email session, I have to go to Wal-mart and buy a bike, since I'm using Sister Averett's currently. I have to give her bike back by Thursday, after my companion and I go to Goldsburrow for our zone meeting. That is over 90 miles, and we have to find a member to take us! 

This is all I can say for now. 

It's fun planting seeds. 

-Sister Marshall 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment