Monday, March 16, 2015

A Mission Is Like A New Pair of Shoes

A mission is like a new pair of shoes. At first, the shoes are stiff, and they are not comfortable to walk in. As we continue to walk in the shoes in over a period of months, the shoes become more flexible, and our feet have molded into the shoe. The shoes are comfortable to wear. The shoes become ours, and are personalized to fit our nature. 

As of today, I am in my Eleventh month in my mission out of eighteen. I have completed 61% of my mission so far. I have 39% of my mission left to go. 

Part of the mission visited the [Rolley] Temple last Friday. We left the Williamsburg Chapel at 6:45 in the morning and we drove there with a willing member of our church (our President organized the rides for the whole mission). Missionaries who had not brought their temple clothes to the mission had to borrow from members, or they had to ask their family from home to mail them their clothing. I was grateful that I had already brought mine. 

Being in the Temple with the missionaries, as well as the mission President and his wife, has truly been the highlight of my mission thus far. The spirit was very strong, and having been able to see them all standing there in the last final bit as I entered the room was overwhelming. I felt like I had just entered into Heaven ( Later on, my companion joked with me, and said, "So this is what it feels like to die". I laughed at that one). In the Temple, I can say that I haven't felt such peace in a long time. 

I know how sacred the Temple is. One cannot understand the temple in its fullness by the first visit. It takes multiple times to go, since the understanding of the Temple is given by divine revelation from the Spirit. 
...
After the visit to the Temple, I have been able to see a lot of miracles happen in missionary work here.

There was one instance that happened a few days ago where my companion had this thought to go and bring a member with us to an upcoming appointment that day. We went over to her house, and we told her that the appointment was coming up within [the next thirty minutes]. At her place, was a woman named ['Shuh-ree'], and she had just moved into the apartment complex. We took that opportunity to invite her to check out the family history website and to come to church with us the following Sunday. After the visit with ['Shuh-ree'], the member came with us to the appointment. The woman who answered the door was not happy to see us, and told us she and her family were not interested in what we had to say. After the door was shut, the member, my companion and I went to visit one of the member's friends, and we were able to extend another invitation to her. I think it was about Family History, but I do not remember. My companion and I have definitely felt that God works in mysterious ways to accomplish His work. 

On Sunday, we had another appointment where we invited a member to come out with us for an appointment. When we got to the door, the woman who opened the door was not happy to see us, and told us her husband (the person who wanted to meet with us) was not home. After the door shut, we took the member with us to go tracting, and we did that for over thirty minutes. We went door to door and extended many invitations. During the process, the member had a lot of opportunities to share her testimony about the gospel, which she fearlessly did. I was very impressed  by how comfortable she was in sharing her testimony. I want to try and be more like this member, by not being fearless.  


... 

We had a great Zone Conference after the Temple with President Baker. A lot of great things were said and I am so grateful to have been apart of this conference.  

. . .

Also: Our Week with our Investigators:

Riley's baptism has been moved to April 11th instead of March 21st, since Riley would like to be baptized by his grandfather. The family will have to wait until his grandfather flies in. With that being said, Riley will be baptized in the next coming transfer, and I do not know if I will be staying in this area any longer; neither does Sister Smart. We hope that we can visit and be there when he gets baptized. We are both very excited for Riley!

Beth is still shooting for June 25th to be baptized.

We haven't been able to teach Cecil this week. The last time we tried to see him, he wasn't there and he was on a long walk. We tried to see him the next hour, and he still wasn't back. We are thinking that his baptismal date will be pushed possibly until next month.

. . .


Anyways, this is all I can say for now. 

I love y'all!

-Sister Marshall 
 




NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment