Monday, September 14, 2015

Last Transfer in the Mission

I am in my last transfer in my mission now! I have 6 weeks (or - for me - 43 days until I go home).
I get to stay with Sister Brakey in Goldsboro, North Carolina. I can predict that this last week is going to go fast.

I have so many thoughts and I can't believe that my mission is almost over. I've learned so much and I continue to be that piece of silver going through the fire. 


Here are some of the highlights of my week:

We exceeded our goal of 50 IOs when we hit 64. This week, we plan on hitting 105 IOS (15 per day). A good way we have been able to do this is by what I call 'Drive Thru Tracting' where when we see people walking by, we pull over and either Sister Brakey and I will introduce ourselves from our car with the window rolled down and we hand them a card, and state our purpose as missionaries. We get more people than if we just went door-to-door. We also feel much safer than if we were to go tracting in the poorer areas of town. 

-We taught one 'other' lesson this week. We had an appointment with someone we had met the day before, and they weren't home, but the TV was on. Sister Brakey told us that the lady's house was '309'. When we got there, it was 301. I took '309' to be a prompting and so we went and knocked on '309' right after '301'. A woman by the name of Denise answered the door, and we taught her the Restoration. The spirit was very strong when we shared the message and I hoped that she could feel the spirit of the Lord testify on what we had taught her, was true. We don't have a scheduled appointment since she does not live there, but is just visiting for the time being. Even though we only taught one lesson to a non-member this week, it was still just as meaningful. 

-There is a rule in the mission that says we cannot teach males without a third female. There was a guy who sat outside of his house, and we introduced ourselves and told him that we had a message of the restored gospel. He wanted to hear the message right on the spot, and we told him that we couldn't. After that experience, I was pretty depressed, and I hoped that we got a transfer call that said we could be in a trio. It doesn't matter the area that I'm in - it is hard to get females to come out to lessons with us, either because they have kids, are working, are busy, at school, or not feeling well. My companions and I had to schedule a lesson in advance, and we have to call way in advance (we cannot call the day of and expect someone to come). Many times, the people have cancelled and then we have a hard time getting a hold of them, or we usually have to pass these people off to the Elders if they have the wrong intentions. This struggle is real, and I know that as long as I keep the faith to find people, and that I know that things will work out in the Lord's timing, I know that it will all be ok. 

- Most of the work my companion and I have been doing is helping the Less-Active Members come back to church, and, finding new investigators to teach from our own efforts. The greatest way that we can find people to teach is through member referrals, and for the most part, the people here don't know of anyone who they can refer us to. Missionary work cannot progress without the members. Most of the time, they think that we're doing all the work and we are the ones who bring in the people toward baptism. If it's just us, the people will not have the fellowship they need. 


- Oh! I few weeks ago I bought a Veggetti grater and I am able to make pasta out of cucumbers, , zucchini, carrots, and potatoes. I love this gadget, and it saves me money on Gluten Free Pasta.


Anyways! I hope you all have a great week! 



No comments:

Post a Comment