Monday, May 5, 2014

2nd-3rd Week Out on the Mission!

Wow. A lot of things have happened since I've been out!

The second week: I had the greatest MTC District I could have ever asked for. I love every single one of them! 



Investigators:
For one of our investigators, Lawanna (well, she was pretending to be one), surprised my companions and I as she came and saw us, in person! It was such a neat experience, and the spirit was very strong. She has cancer and one of the things she mentioned was how she was tired of the doctors and going to visits. Sometime during the lesson, I felt prompted to share with her a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 124:86, which states, 

"If there live here let them live unto me; and if they die let them die unto me; for they shall rest from all their labors here, and shall continue their works." 

I explained to her this verse, which means that all of her pains, her afflictions will cease  by the time she is off the earth, and that she will be able to rest from her labors here. The spirit was SO strong and I couldn't continue explaining all I wanted to say.

"Why are you so quiet?" She asked. 

"I don't know, I've been quiet my whole life," I said.

"You know, I don't want to be your mom or anything, but someone is going to need to hear what you have to say." She said. 

"Is there anything she said that has touched you, Lawanna?" Sister Griffin, my companion asked.

"She has a tender heart.... she has a very tender heart.... I can feel it." 

She kept going on about what a tender heart I had. I don't know if she felt the spirit, but sister Griffin said she did. 


... Experience gave me a different outlook for my mission.

. . .

Leaving the MTC:

Sister Griffin and I (Sister Roberts was already sent to Houston Texas on Monday), were almost late to the bus because her and I had to carry 2 large suitcases each, a travel size, and our shoulder bags by ourselves for most of the way from 17M to the busses. We spent way over 10 minutes trying to carry everything.


I only got 45 min of sleep that night, since I was packing and repacking, trying to get everything under 50 lbs for the large, and 40 lbs for the carry on. I did it! XD

. . . 
A man, who served a mission in his youth (he was probably early 50's) to Ireland paid for our breakfast (Sister Griffin and I). He was so nice, and we also were on the same airplane as him later on!

. . . 

Eventually, by the time it was time for us to have new companions (which was super hard, by the way!), I realized I was going to end up in New Bern, North Carolina. My new companion is Sister Bowen! 


. . . 

I was eating out with my companion and another sister companionship at the Cookout restaurant, and I had a prompting to give a pass along card to the family two tables away from us. The spirit was so strong when we offered the card to him. I was overwhelmed with great joy. 

. . . 

Also! 
Saturday! I got to hear Elder Bednar speak to all the missionaries at a conference! Talk about amazing! It was 3 hours, and I loved every minute of it. 

by the way:

My new address for my individual apartment, is: 

Sister Marshall
2400 D. Griffin AVE
New Bern, NC 28562 

it will get directly to me!

I am indeed in North Carolina! 


. . . 

My first experience knocking on doors was a little overwhelming. We went to visit a less active, and someone other than the woman's husband was watching her child. when the little child came out (most of the people are African-American over here), and we wanted to share a message, he wanted to bring back the toddler, but the boy just stayed there, with his big eyes, and looked at us. He wouldn't move. I noticed how the man softened a tiny-bit, but I cannot forget the words he said before he took the card to give to Megan later on after work: "I've had enough of this." 

I thought to myself, 'The message we have is so great - the only way someone could turn it down is if they don't know the message which we have to share. ' 


I am so grateful to be on a mission!

This is such a wonderful opportunity to share the gospel!


Anyways, I love you all!

XD 

-Sister Marshall 





 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Alissa, So good to read of your sacred experiences in the field. Enjoy each one ... the challenging as well as the successful. Remember Love, that you are sowing seeds of righteousness with every step of your journey. Love you so very much. Grampa

    ReplyDelete