Monday, May 26, 2014

Week 4: Through Tough Trials Brings Great Blessings

Hi, everyone! This week was pretty discouraging.

Even though all week was nice, and there was no rain.

I felt sick for most of the week, and I lost another two pounds. I had to call the woman in charge of medical and she gave me a bunch of suggestions on how I can help myself better. She said it could have been caused from stress, and I think it is just from me trying to adjust to the new area. It also could be caused from all this walking around, and not eating enough calories to keep up with the calories burned! Which is strange because missionaries usually gain weight on their missions. Anyways - it is rather frustrating because I cannot touch my own paperwork, and it is taking a lot longer for my papers to get transferred from Washington to North Carolina because I cannot touch them. The members feed us on occasion, and I am just eating fruits, and vegetables. 

On Preparation day, Sister Bowen, Qunincy and I played some Tennis for an hour. That was a lot of fun. We even tried to play like the pros (and none of us are at that point at all), and we took some cool shots with our cameras as we hit the ball. Also, we heard later this day that Mattie Harget died at the age of 104. I got to see her during a visit while visiting the Wilie family, while she was asleep. She had dementia I believe and she forgot who were daughters were, but she remembered her sons very well. My whole plan was to go to the funeral on Saturday, and to know more about her life.

On Tuesday, I swear I was going to see Dementors (from Harry Potter). In the Theology of Harry Potter, you can see Dementors once you have seen someone, or something die (I am a true Harry Potter fan - and I do not apologize). After Sister Bowen and I saw a less active sister, we were going to our car. Out of nowhere, there was a black Scottie terrier and it was circling around our car after coming from the neighbor's yard across the street. Sister Bowen quickly got in her car, and I got in as normal, for I did not know what was going on. As I sad in the car, I looked over through her window, and I saw the dog. It was then making its way back across the yard, as a large red truck was coming, still barking. This truck did not slow down, and was going faster than the speed limit.. it was going WAY too fast. Next thing I knew, I heard an unmistakable clunk. Sister Bowen saw the dog fly up in the air. And then... silence as the truck kept going. He did not bother to turn around (I heard this happens like this a lot here... it is so sad). The dog twitched, and I immediately started crying. My companion was strong  - I don't know how she did it. What was even more painstaking was when the owner was right there in their yard, and she watched the whole thing. It was hard to watch her fall apart - all I could think of was, 'this dog is this family's best friend' and I can imagine her children coming out, and seeing their dog, and how they were all going to be feeling. My companion and I went across the street and told them that we were sorry for what happened, and that it wasn't us who ran over their dog. Their friend who just pulled in said they were grateful for our concerns. I cried for at least 3 hours after that. One thing I cannot forget was that feeling that a spirit was around me right after the dog died. That may sound creepy, but I felt something. By the time I went to bed that night, I prayed for that family. Oh how I prayed. 

On Wednesday, my companion and I painted the doors and the hallway at Jackie's house. With no masks, I felt super sick within an hour and I had to lie down. It was bad. I am glad that we were able to do some service for her, though! On this day, I felt sick for most of the day, and we did not make much progress doing missionary work. 

All week, it was hard to work, and write our talks before Sunday. We just had to write when we could squeeze time in.  All the missionaries in the area (just my companion and elders) were trying to use the computers at the church. Elders and Sisters cannot be in the same room, and so, you can probably imagine the frustration when we saw a free computer in the room!

Friday: Another thing that happened this week was when Sister Bowen and I were going to visit one of the member's non-member friends, who was not interested in the church but has been visited by missionaries for quite sometime. We knocked a few times and no one came to the door. Sister Bowen wrote on a sticky note and mentioned how we wanted to stop by and see her. When we started walking away, I had this prompting which told me, "check back." I kept walking and those words were said louder, but in a soft way. We were about fifty feet away and then I felt like I shouldn't move any further. I told sister Bowen this prompting, and I felt strange to turn around, but I followed it. By the time we got to the door again, we knocked one more time, and the woman came to the door. I was surprised, and when the woman left the room for a second, I looked at Sister Bowen and I looked surprised. During that visit, though, Sister Bowen and I both figured out, by the spirit, what this woman needed and how we could introduce her to the church: Family History. This could lead into the discussion about eternal marriage (her husband passed away last year, and she believes that they are married forever). I am glad that the spirit touched both Sister Bowen and I to find this answer. 


On Saturday, sister Bowen and I went to the funeral. I barely knew Mattie, but I wanted to know more about her for I had heard great things about her. I loved hearing the testimony of one convert , and the memory she shared when she was putting socks on this woman's feet. She said that the spirit testified to her that she knelt before a queen (meaning of eternal importance; great worth)  and that she has done so much that the Lord has asked of Mattie. The spirit was so strong in the room, and I cannot deny that. I believe it. Mattie greatly favored her family, and she could make anyone feel welcome in her home. She also favored her garden, and when she couldn't walk anymore, the only time she had complained was when she wanted to help out, and when she wanted to work on her garden but she could not. I am glad that this woman is now with her husband, who are sealed for all time and eternity. She has endured well, and I am grateful to have met her for a small moment. Mattie's family has been blessed by her and the things she has done for them. 

Also! I got letters from Sheila and Walter! Oh what joy I felt when I received those letters (I will respond as soon as I can!) (Also - my address is a couple of updates down somewhere, and I need to post my Missionary address soon. I just  don't know if I get the mail sent to that address during transfers or something, and I don't want to wait every 6-12 weeks to get those things!) 

Sunday - an investigator came to church, but only to listen to the missionaries speak. I was the first one. My topic was on how the Gospel of Christ relates to the Plan of Salvation. Well, it's very simple, really - how well you live the gospel depends on your eternal salvation, and which kingdom of glory you deserve (KJV of the Bible, 1 Corinthians 15:40-42, and somewhere in Doctrine and Covenants). Everyone I bumped into said I did a great job. I was very impressed with Elder Adam's talk, for he extended 5 invitations to the congregation, and that is the key when writing an essay - calling your reader (in this case, 'listener',) to action. I need to do better at that, and invite my listeners to do something.

Today was also the first day where I was able to go to relief society. Oh wow, I was excited. The whole time I was in Primary, with sister Bowen playing the piano from 10 am until noon. I don't know how she does it!


Monday: I am feeling pretty good right now, but I am still worried about my weight. I am becoming a little trunky, but not because of my home. I just miss people, and I miss hearing the voices, and I miss the regular life a bit, but I am glad I am taking this opportunity to help others in need. 

Growing up, I bet no one could tell that I was going to serve a mission. But, everyone's life has a plan, and people need to go through trials in order to become stronger. I have definitely become stronger from my trials, and I am grateful for each and every one of them.

I love you all, and I miss you!
Sorry if I am not responding fast enough to your emails - I am trying, though!

-Sister Marshall 



No comments:

Post a Comment