Monday, May 19, 2014

Week Four... And the Trials begin

Hi, everyone! 
This week has been pretty discouraging! 
-6 appointments fell through, one after the other
-A lot of the members have interrupted study time, 
- I've lost two more pounds added from the 9 I lost last week due to who knows what (I am going to stuff my face more this week!) 
-Wednesday to Saturday I've had a hard time sleeping; 
-Wednesday - now - an upset stomach before, during, and after eating
-Waking up super sore, everyday 
-Endured some distasteful comments that definitely tested me

And the list goes on and on, but - I am still doing ok! 

We have a baptism date set for Emma, who is 9, for June 21st. This is exciting! Sister Bowen and I have been giving her the lessons, and her brother is next, for he turns 8 next month. 

Margie, an investigator, came to church yesterday! She is trying to decide which church is best- her daughter's Baptist church, or the LDS church. They cannot see the difference yet between the two, and I hope they do soon! I gave Margie the card that they sold at the Missionary Training Center Bookstore in Provo, Utah, which mentioned the 17 things that stated what the true church had to have. It's a great card! 


My companion and I visited the Shroads Family again, to give their daughter Leah the first lesson to help her prepare for Baptism. We did not expect Sister Shroad's husband to be there, and so we could not teach the lesson. He is completely anti, and there will be arguments if a lesson is taught! It is frustrating to think about! His wife mentioned how a missionary of the church said that anyone outside Provo doesn't have the full gospel;  I was very bothered by that missionary's comment because that is not true at all. My response to that was, "The Gospel [in the LDS church] is the same throughout the world". The Same doctrines, and main principles are taught in every single church - many churches are even on the same page of the lesson, too, give or take a few days. Anyways, though, it was interesting to hear their opinions about the church and they had a bunch of religious books. Brother Shroads is interested in the Youtube Videos on Christians vs Atheism - that is not the best way to figure religion out - not every Christian and not every Atheist believes in the same thing!

Oh. That reminds me. Elder Sorensen called us two nights ago to talk about miracles, and just talk about our day (He is Zone Leader), and he mentioned how he encountered talking to an elderly woman on the street who was filled with so much contention about Christians. She told the Elders that she wasn't religious because "...religious people eat meat. Why would you eat God's creations?" The Elders had to leave because of her contentious nature. While they were walking away, she yelled, "The next time you eat a hot dog, remember that you are eating one of God's creations!" I wish I could have seen that. I told Elder Sorensen, "I know many Atheists who eat meat," And there was laughing involved.

On Saturday, one of the members had a birthday for their 1st year old Son, at the church. It was a great party, and Sister Bowen and I got to help prepare. I didn't know we could have parties at the church! It definitely saves on the mess at home! 

I took a lot of pictures and recorded her son eating his first cake. It was so precious. 


Oh. By the way -- All missionaries have to give a talk next Sunday, on the 25th. Exciting Stuff! 


Anyways! 

The days are long, the weeks are short. 

Until Next Time! 


-------
During the course of the mission, I want to make these remarks on the conversations which I've listened to, and what I've encountered:

-Boeing is NOT a soda factory where the workers are putting on bottle caps
- Web Design is NOT - I repeat - IT work by any means. 
- Playing video games is not a sin - it strengthens kids' attention spans and enhances learning ability and skills.
-  If a woman's excuse is that she feels she does not fit in with the church because she cannot find anyone to play video games with, and that is one of the reasons she is inactive... she needs to open her mouth, and ask in the ward! Or, move to Washington! So many gamers there! 

---- 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment