Monday, May 12, 2014

Another Week Down

Hi, everyone!
 
I have no idea where to start about this week. It felt so long, and I felt like I was rushed every single day!
 
So far, this week, we have visited 11 Less Actives/ Recent converts. We have 6 people who are about to get an extended baptismal invitation, and about 8 investigators. Sister Bowen and I keep forgetting to extend the baptismal invite - it slips our minds by the end of the lesson.
 
Since I've left on my mission, I've unintentionally lost 9 pounds. I guess it is from all the walking, and how I am eating fruits and vegetables most of the time because of my dietary needs and what is available. I have no idea where the 9 lbs came from, but maybe I lost some muscle mass as I cannot workout as much as I used to. 
. . .
 
There was a miracle (as exclaimed by my companion) that happened when I opened my mouth and taught a lesson. We taught a lady named Amanda who was less active in the church, and her husband served a mission but went anti soon after (because his family divorced while on his mission, and he lost faith in the religion all together). This woman normally does not let anyone teach, for she holds her own beliefs, but the moment I stated the purpose of our visit, she seemed taken aback, and she let me have my run because I was new. I taught the restoration with Sister Bowen, and it went pretty well. The moment I said the first vision, I was filled with the spirit, and almost every time I read it (for I have not memorized it yet,) I could not speak - and I cried. I bore my testimony and told her that I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God and he did see two Heavenly beings, the father and the son. I told her that without the spirit testifying this to me, I would not be out here serving a mission. The spirit was so overwhelming. Before, she would be telling me knowledge of the world and her complex reasons why she did not believe, and took the analogies in the Bible and Book of Mormon to be literal; All I did was explain simply: the spirit testified to me. Regardless of the knowledge I have, the spirit testifies of all truth - I do not need to go in deep detail why I believe this church. It's the Holy Ghost - it really is.
 
By the time the lesson was over, my companion was beaming. She told me how no one was able to get a lesson in, not even when she was serving with the previous companion. At the time, I had no idea what happened, but I know that the spirit must have touched her in some way.
 
Just before the lesson, her daughter declared that she wanted to be baptized, and that it was her own desire, [regardless of the inactivity of her parents]. So, we have an instant investigator right there!
 
 
. . .
 
Another thing struck me this week, when we randomly selected names in the Roster (ward directory). We visited a lady, named Katherine (Kitty) in Assistant Living. We found her room, in a wheel chair, and we began to talk with her. We got to know her a little bit, and how her arm was in her sling, and not a cast for it was broken in an awkward spot around her shoulder and they could not reach it with a cast. I do not remember all that was said, but I do remember how much love I felt for this inactive sister. She would be at church if she could, but because of her health, she's stuck in her room and cannot walk that far; they also do not have transportation on Sundays. :\ One of the last things she said stuck out to me, and I felt so much compassion, so much love, and so much desire to help her. This is what she said, as we were leaving:
 
"I thought that the church had forgotten me."
 
She has not been visited in years  by the sister missionaries, or anybody, to my knowledge. Our visit was so brief, and I kicked myself for it. After connecting with Katherine, the moment I sat in the car for our next appointment, I just sat and cried. My companion asked what was wrong, and I told her that I had so much love for Katherine. I put myself in her shoes that day - I had such a desire to help her, and to do whatever I could for her. I don't know what is was, but this desire has given me a taste of true, Christ-like, Missionary Service. 

[on Mothers Day, we had the Elders give her a Priesthood blessing (not my own will, but the will of the Father), for comfort, and for healing. I knew that she really needed one of those! She was so thankful, and I am truly glad we found Katherine. I also asked if we could have someone take the sacrament to her on Sundays, for it must have been ages since she's been to church. She said, "I would love that." A lot of work will have to be done for that, with the transportation, but I believe she is worth it. :D 

. . .

Oh! Also, I cannot forget! My companion had to go to the hospital because she is allergic to red ants! She received 8 bites on one foot, and her foot swelled so much to the point where her foot would not fit in her shoe. Her toes were also purple and she could not move them.  I felt so bad for her! I got bit once, and my knee swelled a bit, but it healed within 2-3 days. After she was prescribed medication, she was told to keep her foot elevated, or if she didn't, and she continued walking, her foot would get worse! She was bitten on Thursday, and  today (Monday), her foot finally went back to normal size, and I tried to help her as much as I could. For a few days, we ended our days between 6:30 and 7:00 pm, instead of 9:00 for teaching. But, it was ok. 


. . .

Over the week, I met Rachel, who was in a different Assistant Living Complex. She's wonderful. And, she is a less active too - health problems keep her from going. She had a stroke about 10 years ago, and it has caused her to be very forgetful and it is hard for her to get her words out; but, she is very expressive with her body language and facial expressions. Occasionally, my companion and I would fill in the blanks of her sentences whenever she could not think of the world. I guess the spirit was really working with us, for almost every time we said a word, Rachel would exclaim a "yes!" and those moments were really fun. She is very intelligent and she has made my day, when I go and see her. 

This is Rachel: 



. . .  

Some things about the area where I'm serving:

+Most of the people we visit, happened to be divorced
+ Most of the houses smell of fresh cigarette smoke 
+ A lot have fell away because of the members in the ward, and their imperfection 
+ People are super friendly, and happy
+So much sun! 
+ So much humidity! 

+ We have over 150 people in the Roster which we are responsible for, and this month we only have 875 miles to use, for each of us (because of the Bednar trip a few weeks ago!). 

+The members are so nice with the meals! They have been dinners, and everyone is taking care of my dietary needs. I tried lactose-free ice cream - it was good! But... I still felt sick ;\ 

. . .

I talked with my family on Mothers day using Skype! I was so happy to see them, and to hear what's new. I was also happy to talk with Joseph's mother, and Christopher for a little bit before my 45 minutes were up. It was so nice to hear them again! 

. . . 


There is much more I could say, but I guess I'll say more next week.

This mission Experience has been challenging, but since I am speaking English, I am able to get right on to missionary work. There is so much I need to learn, but  I guess I have 17 months, and 2 weeks to finally get it right!


I love you all, and I miss you! 


From,

Sister Marshall 




 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment