Monday, November 3, 2014

Emergency Room, Fun Halloween, Social Media Split

Morehead City. This area is pretty difficult. It seems the more I try to be exactly obedient in the mission rules, the less people we have to teach. BUT - there have been some miracles! 

The Harkers Island elders sent a referral our way and she is a very solid investigator. She told us that she had all the books: The Bible, The Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price, and the Doctrine and Covenants. She didn't know where to start reading. She is gold to missionaries. I love it when we have the opportunity to teach people who want to learn and are sincerely interested in our message. 

Monday. 
So... it was a decent day last Monday, except for the white flashes in my right eye. They occurred frequently, and it got to the point where the flash was taking up most of my vision. I called the mission nurse and she told me to go to Urgent Care straight away. I was sent to two of them in town, and they were both closed. Then, she sent me to the emergency room. I went to the emergency, room around 9 pm, and I waited two hours with my companion until they called my name. They asked my allergies and I told them I had a gluten sensitivity and my companion asked, "I thought you were gluten free. I've heard two different things" and she thought I was lying. I look back at that, and I think that is so funny. 

Anyways, though, they checked out my eye and I have a big scratch on my cornea. I have to take drops every two waking hours until the medicine is gone. My eye pressure was 17, and so my eye is fine. I still have white flashes every now and then, but they're not that bad. I am still not going to play tennis for a very long time, especially with people who are professional. Oh well. 

Sister Putnam and I got home late at night and I went to bed around 1:30 that night. I was super tired the next morning. 


Tuesday.
Sister Lewis, the lady we live with, made a meal for us sisters and her family. She had 6 dishes in front of my spot with different things in them. Her grandson told me that she made a banquet for me. Everyone else just had a regular oval paper plate with little dabs of food. While I was eating my food, Sister Lewis would ask me, "Do you have enough to eat?" And I shook my head and said, "yes." I had plenty of food but I guess she worries about me because I'm so skinny. It doesn't matter how much fruits and vegetables I eat - I'm still going to be an XS. It's sad, but it's true. 

Wednesday. 
We had a member-home lesson and the member and the less active member get along very well. They are doing activities together outside of church and I am so glad they are friends and get to share meaningful experiences with one another. 

We had a young married couple of 2 months (they are stationed here in Morehead City) feed us dinner. We had tacos, and they were very good. 

We met a lady by the nickname of Kathy where she severely less active. She only got baptized because her ex husband was a member, and she did not have a testimony when she was baptized. She doesn't let the sister missionaries read any scripture and she will not read out of the Bible or the Book of Mormon. She had dementia, and that is part of the reason why she doesn't read. It was nice to meet her, and I hope one day she may come back to church. 

On Thursday, we had a great lesson with Sandra, the woman the elders referred to us. She goes to the Harkers island ward, but she lives in Morehead city. She has such a strong desire to learn more about the gospel, and she texts us periodically on how her studies have been going (at least, for the past few days. It's awesome!). 

Friday. 
My companion and I had to be at the church early and we also had to have interviews with our mission president. It was fun to see him and his wife again. I took a assessment test on paper to see how I was doing as a missionary, and I am doing my best to serve the Lord. I am trying to be as exactly obedient as I can; I find so much joy in the missionary work, even though it is tough, and it is really hard. 

We district meeting; right after, the missionaries had some kind of pot luck and we brought treats from our homes. There were a lot of Halloween cupcakes, and goodies. The harkers Island elders made me some kind of coconut brownies that I could eat, and it tasted pretty good. I don't think I can digest coconut very well and I felt sick for the rest of the day. They also bought gluten-free cookies and I felt sick from that as well. BUT - it is the thought that counts, and I appreciate it more than they know that they brought something for me. 

We had another in home lesson, with a returning less active member. She has the interesting comments toward me. This is the second time she told me, "You look like a little girl!" The only thing I could think of to say to her was, "Thank you! How old do I look?" she said, "You look like you are 15. If you were my daughter, I'd have you locked up." I didn't know how to respond to that, and she looked at me funny for most of the lesson. The last time she told me I looked like a little girl, she thought I was 18. Well, I lost 3 years on me since she last saw me. I must be aging well if I'm going backwards. 

On Halloween my companion and I didn't do a whole lot. We mostly cleaned our apartment and got ready for the Social Media Split for Saturday. 

Saturday. 
Social Media Split. The members came out with us from 7:30 am to 9:30 pm with two our intervals with different members. They took pictures of us getting ready, studying, knocking on doors, doing service, walking, in lessons, and planning. It was the most awkward thing I've ever experienced. What makes the matters even more frightening is that they are posted on Facebook, with #Mormon, #LDS, #moreheadcityward (I think?) hashtags. Anyways. I'm out there somewhere. This was planned a month in advance so that people can see what missionaries really do. A lot of people don't know.

Sunday.
Church was good. It was also fast Sunday. I remembered how things we sacrifice really aren't sacrifices at all when it comes to the Lord, and the blessings are well worth it. 


-----
Also - I am going on my 7th month as a missionary. I love it! It kinda stinks being away from my fiance, but I am so glad that he is out there doing missionary work too. I wouldn't want it any other way right now. We sacrifice our time so that others can be with their families for eternity. Is truly is worth the wait. 

Anyways! That's all I can talk about for now! 
Miss you all bunches!

-Sister Marshall 

No comments:

Post a Comment