Monday, April 6, 2015

Williamsburg to Virginia Beach

Hi, y'all! 

The transfer from Williamsburg to Virginia Beach was easy, but yet it was emotionally difficult. I truly love this area more than I have loved any previous area - especially the people. I also cannot believe that they closed down Williamsburg for Sisters, so both Sister Smart and I were both transferred at the same time. There is so much work to be done in this area, and I pray that the Elders (who have the whole area now to themselves) can receive the help they need from the Lord to find the people who truly need the gospel at this time. 

I couldn't say goodbye to everyone, and they will truly be missed. I loved working with our Bishop, our Relief Society President, and I enjoyed how willing the members were to meet with us, or to come out with us for lessons (especially last minute). I loved how willing members wanted us in their home, and I am so grateful for this opportunity I've had to get to know each of the people I have met. 

When I laid my head down on my pillow that night, I felt a confirmation from the spirit that this transfer was right. All of my sorrows, feelings, and how I felt about the transfer - I knew I had to rely on the Lord. It was so simple, and yet, it brought me so much peace. If there was one place I wouldn't mind serving for the rest of my mission, I would say it would have to be Williamsburg. 

. . .
Sister Smart and I had to say goodbye to all of our investigators, who are progressing so well. I am truly going to miss Beth, Riley, Cecil, Katie, and Hwasun very much. 

. . .

After the transfer, though, I've noticed something that I haven't noticed before. After having golden investigators for most of my time in Willamsburg, I have left that area with a great love for God, and for our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know even moreso that God is real, and that the Savior's Atonement truly did happen. I have a stronger desire to to the Lord's work, and my desire to serve the Lord has grown tenfold. 

I have noticed even more than before the importance of putting away worldly distractions and remaining focused on the Lord's work. I have put my worries aside, and I have preoccupied my mind and soul with what is going on in the present; I don't even know these people in my area yet but yet I already have a strong love for them. I desire their salvation. I stopped thinking about family and friends as much as I did before, and I just indulged in the work - I want to finish my mission strong. I want to do what is right and I know that by having an Eternal Perspective, things will work out for the greater good. I cannot believe how much it was a distraction for me, and I am so grateful for this time that I have to serve. Every minute of everyday counts. 

I have also noticed that when someone serves a mission, how to be a missionary does not come 'all at once.' It grows line upon line, precept upon precept. If someone does not know a certain rule and they break it, only being told after the fact, they are not held accountable until after they have been told that rule (something along these lines was said in General Conference, but I also knew this before). This also goes for people who are not in the faith. It is hard to condemn someone about something they did not know. It doesn't make sense, and it shouldn't be done. 

. . .
General Conference: 
I love  general conference! I loved how it focused on:
-Temples
-Families 
   +The importance of marriage and having children
   + Happiness can truly be found when rearing children and having a Christ-centered home
- Following the Spirit
   + use time wisely - not so much in Videogames or media 
   + Much is missed in the life around us when we indulge in Media, especially the wrong type of media

I loved President Uchtdorf's joke about speaking in German. It was priceless :D  

. . .
Miracles: 

We've had some miracles this week!
-We went to go knock on someone's door in an apartment complex, and by the time we were walking back, this lady comes up in her car and tells us that we cannot be soliciting here. She drives off and she then came back (she found us again, after we had walked off) and tells us that she just spoke with the manager and told us that we cannot be out and about. So... my companion and I went to the Manager's office of the complex (me and my.. 'Oh yeah?' attitude - it truly gets me places) - and the manager wasn't there. The door was locked. So, my companion and I thought about waiting to see if the manager would get back. She did. We went and talked with her and we came to know that this manager is a less-active member, who has a desire to come back to church. She actually lives in the same apartment complex as we do, and so she will go to our church ward. I truly believe this was inspired of the Lord, and I am so glad my companion and I were open to the promptings of the holy spirit. 

Another one - we met this Hispanic family who are all about the Lord. When we taught some of the truths of our faith, many of them said, "Amen!" after each thing we said. It was wonderful, and the spirit was indeed with them, even though they were not of our faith. I hope to one day see them again, and I hope they may read the pamphlets that my companion and I gave them, and even the Family Proclamation. Families have so much eternal potential - it is not death until we part. It is for time and eternity, when the family is bound by the proper Priesthood Authority. Without that Priesthood Authority, families will not be together in the next life. 

Also - we watched General Conference on Saturday and Sunday! I loved it. I cannot wait until we get the May 2015 Ensign!

Anyways- this is all I can say, for now! 

I miss you all!

-Sister Marshall 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment