Monday, April 27, 2015

Testimony Shared with 1,000 People

This week was full of so many miracles! 

-MSF 
This week I didn't have much MSF money left over to buy groceries for the week. Two members were willing to buy me some groceries this week; also my Grandpa's package came and I am so grateful for the food within that package. 

-Our Investigator Jena
We had an appointment scheduled for Wednesday at 11:00 and she cancelled because something happened between her and her neighbor. Apparently her neighbor is a member of the church (which we had no idea)  and we are so glad whatever had happened, is solved. She called us later on and when we saw that she had called (we were in 'Walk n' Talk') we sped walked to the car to go and talk to her in a quiet place. She told us what happened, and for a while we thought we were going to lose her as an investigator. Near the end of the call, she told us that we were still good and we rescheduled. When we got off the phone, my companion and I shouted for joy. 

+ We sent Jena (Jen-eh) two chapters in the Book of Mormon (about fighting for freedom and defending liberty) to read; later that evening, she sent us eight texts that summarized what she had read; she perfectly knew the moral of each story. She is an investigator! She is SO prepared by the Lord! I am so grateful for her, and for her wonderful spirit. 

-Our New Investigator, Tai 
She was a potential that we had in our records; this is a good time to contact her because of what she is going through in her life. But, she feels like this is just another church and wants to get involved. We did teach most of the Restoration, which is a lesson that separates us from any other church in the world (Joseph Smith - a modern-day Prophet, The Book of Mormon, from the Ancient Americas, the Priesthood Authority - the power to act in God's name - which is not earned by a degree or paid for - but given to righteous and worthy men - etc). 
We have a return appointment later this week and we are very excited to see her.

-Ali
We had a lesson with Ali, one of our investigators and she has come so far. The lesson went well and I am so grateful for her wonderful example.

. . .

Throughout my mission, I have seen that some people believe that homosexuality is not a sin and that if they want to have a family, then it is OK in the eyes of society. But, in the Bible, it clearly states that a marriage between a man and woman is ordained of God, and anything else He will receive none such. Although God wants all of his children to be happy, "...wickedness never was happiness" (Alma 41:10). Regardless if the couple has a righteous desire to have a family, they will not receive the full happiness that comes from a righteous marriage between a man and a woman. God commanded His children to multiply and replenish the earth. Within a homosexual relationship, that is not possible. All in all, man cannot change the laws of God; and even if they try to, God's law is still in effect. These people may be 'right' in the eyes within themselves and their actions, but in the eyes of God, their laws are unjust. 

Our church does believe that homosexuality is a trial that some people may have to go through; but, temptation alone is not a sin. Acting on that temptation is a sin (Sin is willingly going against God's laws).

As church members, we love all people. Some of my favorite quotes are "Love the sinner, not the sin" or "love the person, not the sin". 

. . .
Also - 

-Womens' Conference 
We had womens' conference on Saturday, with special guests: 
+ Sister Mary R. Duram - Second Counselor in the Primary general Presidency 
+Sister Linda S. Reeves - Second Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency 
+Bonnie R. Oscarson - Young Women General President 
+ Elder Dudley, Quorum of the Seventy 
There were over one-thousand females present in the church. 

One of the greatest things happened that evening. Sister Reeves told us she would select a few from the crowd to come to the pulpit to answer the question, "How have you come to know the church is true?" Surprisingly, she asked me to come up. When she asked me, I felt the spirit very strongly. I especially felt the spirit very strong around her, and at first, my fear of crying in front of over a thousand people got in the way with me having a sure and definite 'yes.' But, I accepted and Sister Evans came up with me. While I was in line (8 year old, then a teen, then me, and Sister Evans) I had no idea what to say. There were too many things that have helped me know for myself that the church is true. What even made this more intimidating for me was that my Mission President and His wife were there. Regardless, I have prayed within my whole mission for the Lord to use me as an instrument in His hands, and I told Him I would accept anything He wanted me to do. I immediately sensed that sharing my testimony in this large crowd was part of the commitments when I came out on a mission. I know the spirit was working through me when words started coming out of my mouth. I remember bearing testimony of the strong spirit I feel in this church, and I had come to know by reading, by praying, and by fasting. After both my companion and I had shared our testimonies, she asked us where we were serving, and she [ said that Virginia Beach is very lucky to have missionaries like us]. I cannot remember her exact wording, but I felt humbled. 

Even though I have many insecurities, imperfections, and challenges, I was chosen. I felt so imperfect, yet the Lord used me to share what I knew was true. 

. . .
One investigator came to conference; I was glad she was there! 

Anyways, this is all I can say, for now. 

I hope you all have a great week! 

-Sister Marshall 




 


 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment